A range of career options are available to biomedical graduates. The resources below will help you explore your options, and narrow down which path is right for you.
- Deepti Ramadoss, PhD
Deepti Ramadoss, PhD is the Director of Graduate Studies in the Office of Graduate Studies. She has substantial experience in academic research and instruction, developing career and professional development programs, resources, and national collaborations, and is committed to creating widespread career readiness training and resources for graduate students. Email Deepti at email@example.com.
Programs and Workshops
- Career Club
Learn more about the Career CluB (click here!)
Here's a sneak preview of our first cohort!
- Career Development for Doctoral Trainees
Dr. Darlene Zellers, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Career Development in the Health Sciences, and Director of the Office of Academic Career Development, runs an annual workshop, and presents an overview of the ADAPT model of career development planning, discusses how a developmental approach to professional training and career development can complement your appropriate stage of academic and scholarly training, and addresses any questions you may have about career development resources for doctoral students at Pitt. This is offered annually in late spring.
- Virtual Networking Series: PhD Pathways
PHD PATHWAYS is a virtual networking series that forges and renews connections between current Pitt Medicine trainees and PhD alumni. Launched by the Office of Philanthropic and Alumni Engagement in partnership with the School of Medicine Graduate Studies Office, the series offers trainees the opportunity to engage in meaningful dialogue with PhD alumni about postgraduation professional advancement ranging from academic opportunities to careers in industry and startup organizations. PhD Pathways not only fosters a culture of understanding, support, and awareness for current trainees, it also provides alumni the opportunity to pay it forward to the next generation of scientists. Explore PHD PATHWAYS to see alumni who have engaged in this series so far!
- Women in Bio - Pittsburgh MAPS Program: 2023
From Susannah Waxman and Ceren Tuzmen, WIB-Pittsburgh MAPS Committee
Women In Bio’s Pittsburgh chapter is gearing up for another cycle of mentoring matches for the Mentorship, Advisors, Peers, and Sponsorship (MAPS) program!
How it will work: Mentor and mentee pairs or small groups will be assigned based on common interests, using the information provided in the form below, and will be expected to meet once a month from January to July 2023 in person or via email, phone, or Zoom, whichever is your preferred way of connecting!
If you are interested in participating as a mentor or mentee in the next round of MAPS, please fill out the following form. This will help us make the best possible match for you! If you have previously participated, it will also help us update everyone’s information. To sign up, please go to this link: https://forms.gle/teQna8gqZpgmvZDo8
Don't forget to be sure you are up to date on your Women In Bio membership! We just had our annual planning meeting and have some great programming lined up for 2023, including hot topics in biomedicine, building culture within remote or hybrid teams, personal branding, effective networking, and panel discussions. To check your membership status or renew, go to: http://www.womeninbio.org/page/membership
Please complete this survey ASAP or by December 15th 2022. We plan to send out new mentor/mentee matches in January.
We value the time and energy mentors devote to MAPS; we couldn’t do it without you! If you sign up to be a mentor you will be entered in a raffle for a $50 Amazon gift card!
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
- University of Pittsburgh Doctoral and Postdoctoral Network
The Office of Academic Career Development hosts a LinkedIn group to create a community among current and past University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences trainees to network and share information regarding news, postdoc positions, and employment opportunities. Grow your network by joining the university of pittsburgh doctoral and postdoctoral network linkedin group!
- BGSA Summer Seminar Series
2022-2023 Series information coming soon!
- Internship Opportunity with Clinical Research Strategies
Clinical Research Strategies (CRS) and the Office of Graduate Studies have formed an affiliation to provide senior-year PhD Candidates (years 4 and above) with an opportunity to gain experience in clinical and regulatory affairs, medical writing, consulting, and business development! Applications are open: more information here!
Note: The application will only send to you advisor and program director after you've had a chance to look at it, and hit "complete". An image of the application is available here; but to apply, apply here: https://tinyurl.com/4hr9yspx!
- Science writing mentored program with UPMC media relations
The Office of Graduate Studies and the BGSA have partnered with science writers from the UPMC and University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences media relations team to offer a mentored writing program. Annual applications typically open in the summer for opportunities in the following Fall and Spring terms.
- Summer micro-internship program with Office of the Provost
In response to the growing trend of PhD graduates in higher education careers other than faculty positions, the Office of the Provost – Graduate Studies is offers a micro-internship program each summer. Updates for future opportunities will be posted here.
Jobs and Training Opportunities
Explore current job and training opportunities to help you learn about the skills you may need to develop for various careers.
- Pitt School of Medicine Grad Studies Careers Group
Join Pitt School of Medicine Grad Studies' linkedin group: careers for phd students for curated job or career development opportunities, and tricks and tips to pay attention to!
- News and Job Boards
- Fellowships or Training grant opportunities
Career Exploration Resources
- National Resources
- NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education
- Foundations of Successful Career Planning and Development Course
- Versatile PhD
- Imagine PhD
- InterSECT Job Simulations
- AAAS Individual Development Plan (IDP)
- The Fantasy, The Ideal, and The Reality of Career Exploration (from UCSF)
- PhD Career Guide
- NY-area virtual Science and Technology Career Symposium
- AAMC First Academic Job Toolkit
- Learning and Training
- University Affiliated
- Office of Academic Career Development (OACD)
- Center for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Career Development (DPCD)
- Biomedical Graduate Student Association (BGSA)
- Graduate & Professional Student Government (GPSG)
- Fourth River Solutions (4RS)
- Pitt Science Policy Group (PSPG)
- Innovation Institute
- Big Idea Center
- Monthly Updates from the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies
- Women in Bio (WIB)
- Pittsburgh Technology Council (Anyone with a Pitt email address is a member)
- Life Sciences PA (Anyone with a Pitt email address is a member)
- Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse
- NIH's Biomedical Research Workforce Report
- Nature Index Rankings
- Elements of Good Academic Advising Memo (from Office of the Provost)
- Cheeky Scientist
- Beyond the Professoriate
- Advice for a Young Investigator